Friday, February 6, 2009

CARRIE ROMNEY

Well in just the past month, things have changed a lot in my life. I moved out of Mindy and Chris's house. They were in tears when I left:) I moved into a townhouse in South Bountiful. I just have one roomate. The girl owns the house and I am just paying her rent. She does have a cat, and although I don't really like cats, I have realized that they are not as needy as dogs. I rarely know it is there. I also have accepted a new job which I start next week. It is a banker position with Wells Fargo. It was kind of funny, because I had been looking for a job for so long and then had two offers at the same time. The other one was with a small dietary supplement company. The position seemed to me more like the other marketing positions I have had in the past. The pay was about the same, so I decided to try something different and go with Wells Fargo. Hopefully it will work out well. I continue to teach private Spanish lessons. I just started with a new couple this week. I really enjoy teaching but it continues to be more difficult then I suspect. It is hard to keep them motivated so they will study on their own and also really be able to help them to learn to speak. So as they are learning Spanish, I am learning how to teach them Spanish. I also am working at Primary Children's Hospital as a volunteer interpreter. It is also more challenging then I anticipated, but I am slowing learning the "tricks of the trade" and expanding my medical vocabulary. Mindy and Amy, I may want to borrow some of your anatomy books because I don't even know what the doctor's are talking about in English, let alone interpret it into Spanish. I had a funny experience the other night. I was going around with another volunteer interpreter. She is from Mexico but grew up here. She works in an administrative role for IHC and is going to nursing school, so here medical terminology in both languages is a lot stronger than mine. But the other night we were asked to interpret for a Chaplin who offered to pray with the parent's of a very sick baby. The interpreter from Mexico started to interpret the prayer but was struggling because she didn't know religious terms in Spanish. So for the first time, I was telling her words to say instead of her telling me words to say. It was really funny, because I finally found a situation in which my religious terminology comes in handy. Afterwards, we were talking about it and both laughing and saying that I should have just interpreted the prayer. I told her that the first thing I learned how to do in Spanish was to pray. Carrie

No comments: